2010/12/19

How to make a paper crane

This is what I do with my Saturday nights. Should I be worried? Does save money and liver cells, though.
Just in case you've been wondering about that little japanese girl and her giraffe and stuff...



This is lovingly dedicated to:
Momo who always thought my drawings were a bit dull because they don't move,
Jo who always wanted me to make him a flip book, and
everybody whacky enough to think up stories behind their drawings.

What I learnt from this:
Traditional animation kills trees. LOTS of trees.

The moral of the story:
When somebody throws a piece of paper at you while you're hanging from an albino giraffe (and losing a sock), it'll most probably turn into a paper crane.

I can't believe I seriously just spent five hours on this.

11 comments:

Vicki Holdwick said...

This is great!

Who is your Momo? Mine is my 3 year old granddaughter. Her name is Morgan, but we call her Momo.

Love your art,

xoxo

Deborah said...

Very cute and I say a great way to spend your time!

E*phi said...

Thanks! Glad somebody enjoyed it!

@Vicky: "My" Momo(-ko) is the (not yet 3-year-old) daughter of a friend. And she's just the coolest kid I've ever known. ;)

Satia said...

I need you to email me your address (tiny writing makes me less secure that I am copying it correctly) because I have this something to send you . . .

satia62 at gmail dot com

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

So cute, its fun to see it in action : )

Sandra said...

You made me laugh!

Unknown said...

Yes!! That was fabulous! I so want to know how to do that! And I think it would be great to see one of your diary pages done like this!! :D Gee, wonder how much time that would take!!??

E*phi said...

@Raena: It's ahem... quite simple in all its time-demanding-ness. Draw many many frames (old-fashioned pen on paper) as quickly as possible (that's the "frames"), take the time to scan them all, take even more time to process them (make b/w linedrawings out of grayscale scans, scale etc. - I do all this with Gimp) and then find a program that saves all your frames into one movie file (.avi in this case). I tried "Pencil" which is free and a really neat little program. But it is extremely buggy (at least the linux version I have), which means the "export as movie" doesn't work *sigh*. So, I basically ended up opening *all* my frames (as .png) in Gimp (every frame is a layer - quite a task for poor old Vladimir!) and then save as movie file (you can tell Gimp e.g. the rate of frames/second and stuff). This little animation has about 70 frames at a rate of 5 frames per second (which is *really* poor quality - you should have at the very least 12/s to make it "flow", better lots more!). Hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing an animation "by Raena" some time... ;D

Alex said...

Nice post! And it's a very cute animation ^^
Thanks for your comments Evi. New place, new job, new life... hard enough, and I sure wish that my cat's with me though. But yeah, no matter where he is, I am sure he's alright.
Merry Christmas to you too!

Unknown said...

LOL...I'm tired just by reading that!! I have corel painter X which has movie stuff in it, but I've never used it before. May need to actually get the book out!

donna said...

You made me smile and I really needed it. Thanks!