Unbelievable but still: I haven't got much to show in terms of sketching and the like because I've actually been working on my thesis. I mean really working, like, eight hours a day or so. Finally. Against great odds. Two weeks ago, my dear Vladimir (aka my trusty old laptop) suddenly didn't feel very well and started spontaneously shutting down its system approximately every quarter of an hour, so I had to go through the inconveniences of reformatting the disk, installing a new system (it was high time to get a newer version of Ubuntu anyway), finding drivers for our modem etc etc etc.
(And I'm still not used to the fact that the "close window" and "minimize" buttons are apple-style in the upper left now... ugh!)

After all that, I wasn't quite pleased with being stuck on the login screen after a reboot again last week. Only that it was my fault this time. I had played around with a xorg.conf file in an attempt to get the old wacom tablet working that my supervisor had given me as a "gift" some time ago (he frequently askes around if anybody needs *random old gizmo* because he's got a new one - very nice and generous and moneyed man!). Maybe I shouldn't play around so much with things that I don't really properly understand because, after that little experiment, my laptop didn't recognize any input device anymore. VERY incovenient. One of those moments of "Aaaaaaaargh!!! I want to die!".... "Wait, no. I want this computer to die!". I generally do not have an aggressive character, but I needed to scream, destroy a book (by repeatedly bashing it against a wall) and draw the following 1-minute-doodle-comic to keep myself from throwing poor Vladimir out of the window from the sixth floor.

Anyway, problem solved for the price of a sixpack of beer (long live cute bribable nerds!).
By the way, I'm saving the newest version of my thesis on at least three independent storage devices daily now.


5 comments:
You're being a very good girl to keep working on your thesis like that -- especially in the face of Vladimir's rebellion. Your drawings are quite fun, as always. nancy
Good luck with your thesis and hopefully you'll get a new rig or at least get Vladimir fixed. And you're right that it's so nice to have someone keep donating dated gizmos to you ^^ my last tablet was given to me too but I gave him back because I had to leave Germany.
Anyway, your drawings are as creative and cute as always!
These drawings just cracked me up, just love it... Best of luck with your thesis and for poor Vladimir, well its good you didnt throw him out the window (yet)... I hope you got him back on track and he is working with you again.
You concluded the situation with humor. Well done!
These are fabulous! I love that top one, with the color touches. And the last one is brilliant for such a fast sketch! Good for you, working on your thesis!
Post a Comment