First of all, I want to say sorry to my international readers for that these comics are in German (I will provide English transcriptions underneath each comic). This is due to the fact that in the German language there (often) is a noticeable difference between masculine and feminine nouns and this is what this comic is about (partly). It is also about how embarrassingly unusual it still seems to be - even in an academic context - to include the female (identified) half of the population. And it shows that even linguistic inclusion does not always translate into actual inclusion.
Don't get me wrong. Fortunately, there are already several attempts/programs to support women's participation in so-called MINT subjects (Mathematics, Informatics, Natural Sciences, Technology). I do appreciate these efforts but I think it's equally important that these women become "visible" through an appropriate use of language. Because language is not "just words". Words do not only reflect who we are and what is important to us, they also shape our everyday reality. So let's make use of that positive feedback of words and actions - YAY!
I'm looking forward to times when I won't get all excited about something like a "progressive" folder that once doesn't forget to mention 50% of the world's population.
Translation:
Panel 1: "What's this? From the GDCh*?"
Panel 2: "Oh, an invitation... lecture... and commemorative plaque."
Panel 3: "bla... (male and female) scientists decorated in ceremonial act... WOW! How progressive..."
Panel 4: So far: (list of names)
Translation:
Panel 1: "For all non-chemists: the GDCh is the Society of German Chemists* (male form only)."
Panel 2: "Yep. Exactly. And I'm a member nonetheless."
Panel 3: "(Gender) Never has been a problem."
(* this is a direct translation. Interestingly, the English version of their website says "German Chemical Society" which is wonderfully inclusive of all genders.)



2 comments:
I've been away for a while and it sure is nice to see your work again!
I love seeing your work! Thanks for sharing! nancy
Post a Comment